A new Semi-Tethered jailbreak for iOS 5 is now in the plate for jailbreakers to eat! Read below for more information about what this Semi-Tethered jailbreak is, what its functionalities are and how you can install it on your iPhone, iPod Touch or iPad.
A new tweak called SemiTether is now available to install in the BigBoss repository in Cydia.
What is this ‘Semi-Tethered’ thing anyway?
Semi-Tethered is a state in which your jailbroken device is in between the tethered and untethered jailbreak condition. Semi-Tethered means you can use your device after reboot while on a tethered jailbreak without having to connect to the computer and boot into tethered mode. But though you can use it, Mail, Safari and Cydia (including items installed from Cydia) will be disabled in this state. Still, in emergency situations for making calls, sending messages etc, this will be pretty useful, especially when you are on the go.
What all work and does not work in Semi-Tethered mode?
These are the things that will work and doesn’t work in this condition :
1) Can use phone, sms (text messages)
2) Can use every other stock app on iphone.
3) Cannot use mobile safari
4) Can use other appstore web browsers such as atomic web browser
5) Cannot use mail app. You could install a gmail app from appstore or such instead.
6) You cannot use any jailbreak tweak, app, cydia until you boot tethered.
7) While in the semitether booted state, you should not add a jailbreak ios5 notification such as sbsettings to notifications during this state or your device will be stuck in a respring loop until you get home to “boot tethered”.
NOTE: Also, it might take a bit more time to boot while in Semi-Tethered mode, so don’t panic.
Jailbreak iOS 5 Semi-Tethered On iPhone, iPod Touch Or iPad :
NOTE 1 : iPhone 4S and iPad 2 users still need to wait.
NOTE 2: Unlockers must stay away from stock iOS 5 firmware and should preserve the baseband while upgrading to iOS 5 and then jailbreak to keep the unlock. Useful resources for that :
- How To Preserve Baseband On iOS 5 Upgrade On Windows
- How To Preserve Baseband On iOS 5 Upgrade On Mac
Now let’s start the work.
1. Jailbreak your device. Guide to jailbreak iOS 5 : Jailbreak iOS 5 Final on Windows and Mac
2. Now, open up Cydia.
3. Navigate to Manage -> Sources.
4. Tap on ” Edit ” and then on ” Add “.
5. Now add this source : http://thebigboss.org/
6. Now go to the Search tab and search for ” SemiTether ” and install it.
7. Reboot your device.
That’s it! If you are having any questions or suggestions, drop them below in the comments section.